An energy-efficient appliance or product simply uses less energy to provide the same level of energy in return. An appliance of this type isn't going to perform at any lesser a standard just because it uses less energy to function.
Not only does an energy-efficient product reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but it can be a more cost-effective option for you too.
Your refrigerator is a great place to start with introducing energy-efficient products into your home. As they require a constant source of power, opting for an energy-efficient refrigerator is going to see you benefit from reduced costs in the long run.
It is important to note that not all refrigerators on the market are energy-efficient, whilst some modern models will be, others will not. We have browsed the marketing searching for the best energy-efficient refrigerators that are available.
If you could benefit from a little more guidance when making your purchase, we have also included a handy buyer's guide below with our top tips for choosing the best energy-efficient refrigerator.
If you are in a hurry, we have selected our top pick for you below.
Top 5 Best Energy-Efficient Refrigerator
OUR TOP PICK
If you have a limited amount of space available for storing your refrigerator, the BLACK+DECKER Energy star refrigerator is an ideal option. As a compact 3.4 cubic foot refrigerator it can fit into confined spaces with ease. The refrigerator itself has a build measuring a minimal 17.5" x 19.3" x 32.7".
Designed with two adjustable glass shelves in the main body of the fridge and an additional shelf and bottle storage in the door, this refrigerator can store a range of groceries and beverages with ease. The top of the refrigerator features a small fridge freezer compartment with an ice tray too.
With an adjustable thermostat, a manual defrost feature, and adjustable leveling legs, this is a versatile product that leaves you in full control of the height and maintenance of your refrigerator. Choose from the color, black, grey, or white depending on your room aesthetic and personal preferences.
Thanks to the glass shelving, this refrigerator is easy to clean too, simply wipe the shelves over when necessary to maintain a fresh and clean interior environment.
- Backed with a year warranty for parts and labor and a 2-year warranty for the compressor, there is help available should you have any concerns.
- As an energy star certified refrigerator it is one of the most efficient appliances of 2020.
- When functioning, this refrigerator only produces 45dB of sound so it is unlikely to be distracting.
- Courtesy of its compact size and unobtrusive design, this refrigerator fits effortlessly into a range of environments from dorms, apartments, to garages, basements, and even boats and RV's.
- With three different color options available you can select the color that coordinates with room theme and decor.
- Some may find the freezer compartment a little too small and restrictive to satisfy their needs.
A refrigerator that can accommodate your needs while consuming a small amount of space is going to be beneficial and the TACKLIFE Compact Refrigerator doesn't disappoint. This refrigerator measures 3.2 cubic feet with overall dimensions of 18.3 x 17.3 x 32.7 inches, so it can easily fit into smaller spaces.
The single door is uniquely designed with 4 different compartments, so you can store your favorites beverages with ease. Something we like about this cool door design is the beverage dispenser.
Simply stock the compartment with your chosen beverage and you can then grab one whenever you fancy. In the lower section of the refrigerator, there is a clear draw that can hold a range of fruits and vegetables for improved freshness.
The two glass shelves can be adjusted to sit at your chosen level. At the top of the refrigerator, you will then find a small freezer section.
You are unlikely to experience disruptions thanks to the super quiet compressor which produces roughly 37dB of sound. The temperature thermostat can be adjusted via a dial so you can easily alter the temperature if needed.
There are 5 different temperature modes to choose from and as an energy-efficient appliance, it can cost as little as $25 a year. You'll be saving on energy bills in no time.
- This refrigerator is going to be easy to clean if you're faced with any spillages as they will be contained within the glass shelves.
- There are two color options available so you can choose the color that compliments your taste.
- As an energy-efficient refrigerator, your bills can be as low as $25 a year.
- Courtesy of its compact size, this refrigerator is going to fit into the tightest of spaces with ease.
- The beverage compartment allows you to access your favorites drinks easily.
- Some may find the noise produced by this refrigerator to be a little loud and distracting.
If you're looking for an energy-efficient refrigerator with a compact size, the EdgeStar Energy Star Fridge/Freezer could be a great solution. Measuring only 19.75 x 18.75 x 33.5 inches, this refrigerator is going to fit into dorms and smaller kitchen spaces with ease.
Accommodating the needs of different individuals, this appliance has been designed with a reversible door that can be attached to open from the left or right depending on the layout of your kitchen and what you would find easiest.
Courtesy of the auto defrost function, you don't have to go through the manual process of removing the build-up of ice yourself.
The temperature thermostat also provides access to an impressively wide temperature range from 34-60 degrees Fahrenheit, thus allowing you to select the perfect temperature for the interior of the fridge and the selection of groceries being stored.
Impressively, this refrigerator doesn't limit you to the space that you have available either. Both the fridge and freezer doors have been designed with bins for additional storage and racks in the refrigerator section for storing drinks and condiments etc.
The shelves slide out too which comes in particularly handy for storing larger groceries and drinks without limiting you on the rest of the space that you have available.
If you find yourself on the search for a late-night snack or beverage, the interior light inside the refrigerator section can easily guide you to your stored food and drinks.
- This refrigerator has an energy star rating making it a more energy-efficient appliance than most models available on the market.
- Backed with a 90-day labor warranty and a 1-year parts warranty, you are covered should you experience any issues with your purchase.
- If you are looking for a compact refrigerator that is going to easily fit into an office or a dorm, the Edgestar is a practical option.
- Courtesy of its sturdy and robust design, this refrigerator is unlikely to become damaged easily.
- The slide-out shelves make this appliance easy to clean should you be confronted with any spills.
- Some may find this refrigerator a little too small especially if you are hoping to store some of your favorite beverages in the door compartment.
Offering a little more space than our previous picks, the hOmelabs energy star certified refrigerator is equipped with a freezer to cater to all of your food storage needs.
This is a larger appliance with total dimensions of 19.1 x 20.6 x 48.6 and an additional 4.6 cubic feet of cooling space. Courtesy of the two-door design, the fridge section is separated from the freezer so you can easily reach the necessary foods.
The reversible door also caters to the needs of different users depending on the layout of your kitchen. Additionally, this refrigerator has also been designed with leveling feet which come in particularly handy if it is likely to be placed onto an uneven surface as you can alter the legs to the best and most accurate position.
When you open the refrigerator you will find two removable glass shelves that can be slotted into multiple positions of the fridge. There is also a handy glass drawer for storing your fruits and vegetables.
These shelves are super convenient in accommodating larger items too so you aren’t restrictive on space. The freezer section also sports two shelves for plenty of space for holding your frozen foods.
The sound produced by refrigerators can be off-putting, particularly when trying to focus on work or sleep, however, producing only 42dB of sound, it is highly unlikely that this appliance is going to create any disruptions when functioning.
- As an energy certified appliance, it is going to help you to save on your annual energy bills.
- Thanks to the glass shelves it is relatively easy to maintain a clean fridge as the shelves contain spills and prevent them from spreading.
- There are two designated fridge and freezer compartments providing plenty of room for storing your groceries.
- The reversible door accommodates different room layouts.
- The thermostat provides an easy way of adjusting the temperature.
- Retailing at a slightly higher price, this may be an unaffordable option for individuals who are on a budget.
Another compact energy-efficient alternative to a bulky refrigerator is the 3.1 cubic feet refrigerator by Midea. The total dimensions of the refrigerator measure 18.50” x 19.37” x 32.95” and it is also relatively lightweight for easy portability weighing 52.20ibs.
Both the fridge and freezer sections are divided by separate doors and this provides you with a greater capacity for storing your chilled and frozen foods. The refrigerator section has a drawer at the bottom for your fruits and vegetables for improved freshness.
The two glass shelves can be removed for easy cleaning which is handy should you be faced with any spillages. Inside the door section, you will find three compartments for storing your beverages. Impressively, one of these compartments acts as a drinks dispenser providing you with easy access to your favorite beverages.
Now when it comes to the design and construction of the refrigerator, the door can either be assembled to the left or right of the refrigerator depending on how your kitchen is laid out and what is going to work for your kitchen and the area that your refrigerator is going to be stored.
- Available in three different colors, there is bound to be a style available that compliments the aesthetic of your kitchen.
- The interior light allows you to find your foods and beverages easily.
- This refrigerator offers many storage compartments so you aren't going to be restricted in the space that you have available.
- Courtesy of its compact build and design, this refrigerator is going to fit into the tightest of spaces with ease.
- Thanks to the adjustable legs, you can set the refrigerator to the correct height for your space.
- On occasions, it can be a little difficult to retrieve the cans from the designated dispenser.
Best Energy-Efficient Refrigerator Buying Guide
There are several factors that we would recommend you considering before investing in your refrigerator. Of course, the priority is to select a product that is energy efficient. However, there are many other factors that you will need to consider to ensure that you invest in the refrigerator that is going to accommodate your needs.
What is an energy-efficient refrigerator?
If you're still a little uncertain as to what an energy-efficient refrigerator is or what the qualities that contribute to a refrigerator of this kind are, we have highlighted a few points in extra detail.
An energy-efficient refrigerator is essentially an appliance that has an energy star certification. You will find that the majority of new models that now dominate the market consume a significant amount of less power than the older models. To put this into perspective, a refrigerator if this kind is said to use less power than a 60-watt light bulb.
This may sound surprising but the larger refrigerators often tend to be the most energy-efficient.
As a refrigerator needs constant powering, you are more than likely to find that this appliance is responsible for some quite hefty bills, and therefore opting for an energy-efficient refrigerator can help to reduce your bills.
Before you browse the market and find a refrigerator that you like, it is important to evaluate the space that it is going to consume and the available space that you have.
While the market for smaller refrigerators is becoming increasingly popular, others will be larger and more robust designed so they are going to require more room as a result. Remember that you need to have enough room to open and close the doors too.
Placing a large refrigerator into a tighter area is likely to be a little restricting when it comes to accessing and opening the doors so ensure that you have enough space for the unit itself but also enough surrounding space too.
The Size of the Refrigerator
Of course, the size of the refrigerator is going to be largely dependent on the size of the family that the refrigerator is intended for use by. A larger family of 8 is likely going to require a bigger refrigerator than an individual living alone, or a smaller family of 2 or 3.
The refrigerators that are the most energy-efficient tend to be around 16-20 cubic feet. However, it is important to ensure that the appliance you choose can house the food for your family without restricting you on space.
Energy Star Certified Refrigerators
An energy star product simply refers to products and appliances that consume less energy. It is important to note that not all products are energy star certified but those that do essentially meet energy efficiency guidelines and performance expectations.
An energy star rating is a symbol that is backed by the government for its efficiency in its reduced dependence on the use of greenhouse gas emissions.
The cost of an appliance is often an important factor for many. Refrigerators can retail at varying price points. If you are on a budget there is a product available that is likely to suit this. It is important to remember the long term benefits that are delivered to you in return to a more expensive immediate investment.
An energy-efficient refrigerator is going to save you more money long term due to its ability to function in a more user-friendly way. We have included some examples from varying price points to show the different options that are available to you.
It is always nice to have a refrigerator that offers plenty of compartments for storing your foods and beverages.
Some may boast more additional compartments than others, although most will come with storage in the door section and the main body of the refrigerator itself.
The Build Quality
When investing in your refrigerator you expect it to be constructed using good quality, long-lasting materials. Your refrigerator is going to be used daily and so it has to have a strong and robust structure.
You don't want to have a refrigerator door breaking off or becoming damaged after being opened a few times.
Many refrigerators are prone to producing a relatively high volume of noise which some may find a little off-putting and distracting, particularly if this fridge is situated near an area where you are going to be working or resting.
It is important to pay attention to the volume of noise the appliance is likely to produce.
Frequently Asked Questions
In what ways can a refrigerator be more energy efficient?
There are a few ways that a refrigerator can be more energy efficient. First of all, it is necessary to use a thermometer to check the temperature of your fridge.
Ideally, your fridge should be at a setting of around 35 and 38 degrees as any colder than this can consume almost 25% more energy, which of course, isn't very energy efficient.
Is an energy-efficient refrigerator worth it?
If you currently have an older refrigerator that is regularly leaving you faced with some hefty bills then it is worth considering investing in a new one. As we have mentioned previously, the more modern models of refrigerators tend to be designed with more energy-efficient elements.
An energy-efficient refrigerator could save you as much as $100-$200 annually on your total energy savings (this may differ depending on the brand that you purchase from).