Investing in a built-in grill can bring many benefits, not only does it allow you to enjoy outdoor cooking but it adds a more sophisticated appeal to it too. A built-in grill is an aesthetically pleasing addition to most outdoor spaces, combining the convenience of outdoor cooking with superior performance.
When looking for your outdoor grill it is important to ensure that it provides both quality and performance within one built-in unit, and of course, it needs to be easy to assemble too.
If you are a little unsure of where to start when it comes to selecting the best built-in grill, we have done the hard work for you. Below, we have identified our top five picks of the best built-in grills on the market. We have also included a buyer's guide containing our top tips for choosing the best product.
If you are in a hurry and don't have the time to continue reading, we have selected our top pick for you below.
Top 5 Best Built-in Grills
OUR TOP PICK
From the well-known brand of kitchen appliances KitchenAid, we have the 740-0780 built propane gas grill. While they may not be the first brand that comes to mind when looking for a grill, they offer quality and affordability combined.
Designed with a 696 square inch cooking surface, this grill has a spacious capacity for catering to larger groups at once. The grill itself has a total 55,000 BTU rating which includes the 15,000 BTU ceramic side burner.
To ensure that your food is cooked to the best standard, this grill incorporates an even heat system which consists of stainless steel burners, angled flame tamers, and enhanced grates, each working in conjunction with one another to create an even distribution of heat across the grill surface which a reduced occurrence of flare-ups.
If you wish to cook your food using a natural gas source, this grill can be easily converted to do so, which highlights its versatile qualities.
Impressively, this grill comes pre-assembled which takes the stress and hard work out of difficult setups and assembly. Simply connect it to your propane tank or gas line and then you are good to go.
- KitchenAid offers a quality grill within an affordable price range - ideal for those on tighter budgets.
- With a 696 square inch cooking surface, this grill is ideal for catering to larger groups.
- Durably designed, this grill has been constructed using stainless steel which ensures that it is going to last for a decent amount of time.
- Thanks to the even heat system you can be assured that the grill is going to be heated thoroughly.
- Conveniently this grill is easy to use allowing for a stress-free user experience.
- Cleaning the grill racks following use can be a little troublesome.
When it comes to performance and durability this liquid propane outlaw drop-in grill head by Bull Outdoor Products does not disappoint. Renowned for producing high-quality grills, it is highly unlikely that you will be disappointed in your purchase from this brand.
Designed with four burners, this grill is also equipped with a warming rack and rotisserie spit so you are spoilt for choice in regards to the different cooking methods that are available to you.
Additionally, the design of this grill incorporates even heat distribution technology with an improved 50% of heat distribution for this grill in particular. Essentially, this results in a more evenly heated grilling surface so you can be assured that all of your food is going to be cooked thoroughly without the risk of hot or cold spots.
Even if your grill is full of food, it will all be cooked to the same heat and standard.
Constructed using 16 gauge stainless steel with a dual-line roll-top hood with seam welded edges and a stainless steel handle, this is a durable grill that is likely to withstand the elements and frequent use particularly well.
Courtesy of this robust design, it is likely that your grill is going to see you through many uses without any deterioration to the quality or performance.
- As a CSA certified product, this grill has been tested and certified to show that it meets recognized standards in regards to its safety and performance.
- Bull is a reputable brand that is known for producing good quality grills so you can be confident in the standard of your product.
- Durably constructed, this grill is likely to see you through many uses before experiencing any deterioration in quality.
- With a decent-sized cooking surface, this is ideal for catering to bigger groups of people.
- The ReliaBull technology accounts for even heat distribution ensuring that all food is cooked thoroughly.
- This grill is pretty expensive and unlikely to be the most affordable option for those on a budget.
If you're looking for a built-in grill that has the spacious capacity to cater to many individuals at once, look no further than the Lion Premium natural gas grill. With an 830 square inch cooking surface, this grill is likely to suffice in fulfilling your needs.
This is a natural gas-powered grill with 4 cast stainless steel burners with a BTU rating of 75,000 total BTU's.
Inside the grill, you will find a rotisserie spit and a warming rack so any food that is cooked before the rest can be placed here to maintain its heat ensuring that it meets a tasty standard before serving. Impressively, this also ensures that all of your cooking needs are catered too.
Again when it comes to durability, this grill does not disappoint. The grates and the exterior of the grill have been constructed using stainless steel and the smoker's head has also been designed with double-layer seamless welded steel with polished edges to finish.
Ultimately, this creates a durable grill that is going to withstand regular use and the elements faced from the outdoor environment particularly well.
Using the grill itself should be a relatively straight forward process courtesy of the 5 push to turn knobs that give you complete control in regards to the functioning of the grill.
- LION provides a lifetime warranty for their cast burners so if you should happen to experience any issues there is help available.
- Courtesy of its stainless steel construction, this is a durable and robust grill that is going to withstand the elements particularly well.
- With an 830 square inch cooking surface, this grill is ideal for catering to larger groups.
- Impressively, this grill is equipped with a range of accessories to satisfy all of your cooking needs.
- This grill is easy to use for an enjoyable user experience.
- Unfortunately, this grill sometimes struggles with achieving even heat distribution which may result in a time-consuming cooking process.
With a reputation and popularity surrounding their name for producing high-quality grills, the Weber Summit S-460 built-in natural gas grill is going to satisfy your needs perfectly well.
Designed with 4 stainless steel burners, this grill has a 48,800 BTU rating with a 10,600 BTU input sear burner and a 6,800 BTU hourly input smoker burner.
Impressively, this grill has a total cooking area measuring 580 square inches, 468 of which are dedicated to the grill area itself and 112 for the warming rack which comes in handy when you need your food to keep warm as you wait for the rest to cook.
Additionally, this grill also features a rear-mounted rotisserie burner spit fork which caters to all of your cooking needs.
To ensure that you can enjoy a mess-free cooking process, this grill has been designed with a front access grease tray and catch pan and as the name suggests, these features are going to catch the grease from your food, preventing a build-up in mess.
- Thanks to its stainless steel construction, this is a durable and long-lasting grill.
- The grill cabinet provides a convenient storage compartment for your grilling utensils etc.
- This grill has a spacious cooking surface which makes it ideal for catering to larger groups of people.
- Weber is a brand that is renowned for producing good quality grills so you can be confident in the source and brand behind your purchase.
- Assembling and setting up this grill is an easy and stress-free process.
- This grill is significantly more expensive than our previous pick which may make it an unaffordable option for some individuals.
Another brand known for producing good quality grills equipped with everything that you need is the Napoleon Built-in Prestige Propane gas grill head.
Impressively, this grill has been designed with a 760 square inch cooking area; which provides the capacity for catering to several people at once. Additionally, this grill has a 66,000 BTU rating and is powered by four stainless steel burners.
Using and igniting this grill is a straightforward process and can be done via the instant JETFIRE ignition. Additionally, each of the control knobs has been designed with night lights and safety glow which ensures that your grill remains visible for safe use even in low lighting.
Aside from the cooking surface itself, this grill also features an infrared rotisserie burner which is going to effectively satisfy all of your cooking needs, not only can you grill your meats using the cooking surface but this rotisserie burner uses intense radiated heat which allows you to rotate thicker cuts of meat along with fruits and vegetables.
- Courtesy of the lift ease roll top lid you can access your grill with ease.
- The night light knobs allow you to use the grill safely in low lighting visibility.
- This grill is available in propane or natural gas style so you can opt for the one that caters to your needs.
- Not only does the stainless steel construction make this a durable and robust grill but it is also going to be a stylish addition to your outdoor area too.
- Thanks to the generous cooking surface, this grill is ideal for catering to large groups of people at once.
- Some may find this grill a little difficult to use due to the unclear instructions that are provided.
Best Built-in Grills Buying Guide
If you are looking to invest in a built-in grill, there are several factors that you will need to consider beforehand. Is the grill easy to assemble? Is it made using durable, good quality materials? Is it going to heat my food thoroughly?
We have listed several criteria below that we would recommend you consider as this will help you to make the best purchase that is going to satisfy your needs.
The Heat Distribution
A gas grill should be designed with even heat distribution technology as this will ensure that all of your food is cooked thoroughly. Regardless of the amount of food that is on the grill, it should all be cooked through without some being more heated than the rest.
As you will see in our guide above, most grills have been designed with this technology to create a better performing grill. This also eliminates the occurrence of hot and cold spots in different areas of the grill so it is all at the same temperature.
The Cooking Surface
The cooking surface of your grill will be specified in square inches and the size that you require is going to be largely dependent on the volume of food that you are going to be cooking at once and the number of people that you are going to be cooking for.
If you often find yourselves hosting parties etc you are going to benefit from selecting a larger sized grill, likewise if you are going to be cooking for a smaller group of people a smaller sized grill is likely to satisfy your needs.
Construction and Durability
As your built-in grill is going to be stored outside, it is crucial to ensure that it is made from tough and robust materials that can withstand the harsh elements of the outdoor space as well as frequent use.
The majority will be made using stainless steel as this is a tough and robust material that is not only going to last a long time without deteriorating but it creates a stylishly designed grill too.
You will find many grills that are equipped with additional accessories. This may be a warming rack that provides a convenient place for keeping your foods that are cooked while you wait for the rest of your foods to reach the same temperature.
Ultimately, this ensures that everyone can enjoy a tasty dinner without some being colder than the rest. Others will be designed with rotisserie spits for cooking large portions of meats as well as fruits and vegetables and is done so using the intense heat radiation.
For many, the cost of their grill is an important factor to consider. Built-in grills can retail with pretty hefty price tags and for some individuals, this can be a little off-putting.
However, there are some affordable options available if you don't have the budget to spend on a more expensive option. We have included a range of built-in grills retailing at varying price points to highlight the options that are available to you.
The Gas Type
Different grills will function using different gas types. For some this may be propane gas, for others this may be more natural forms of gas which are likely to be a hydrocarbon-based fuel source.
It is important to evaluate your needs and situation to ensure that you select the best grill to suit this. Some may be designed in a way that means that they aren't solely dependent upon one of these sources and can be converted between the two.
Assembling the Grill
When it comes to selecting your built-in grill, ideally you want to opt for one that is going to be easy to assemble as this eliminates a lot of stress and confusion.
The majority of grills that we have recommended in our guide above are easy to assemble and can be done so within a short period. Simply connect them to your chosen fuel source and then you should be ready to go.
The BTU rating
A BTU rating stands for a British Thermal Unit and is simply a measurement of the total heat output and fuel consumption per hour of your grill burner.
However, it is important to note that it isn't a measurement of how hot your grill will get so a grill with a high BTU doesn't refer to a hotter grill.
Some brands are dominators in this industry with reputations for producing grills of a high standard that have gained popularity amongst consumers for their performance and build quality.
While some brands may be more well known than others, some less well-known brands produce built-in grills that are just as good in terms of quality and performance.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do built-in grills last?
Many factors can influence how long your built-in grill is going to last. On average, a grill of this kind can last between 5 to 15 years before needing to be replaced.
However, your grill is going to benefit from regular maintenance to ensure that the quality is always taken care of and it isn't likely to deteriorate at such a fast pace.
How far should a built-in grill be positioned from the house?
It is recommended that your built-in grill is positioned approximately 10 feet away from your home, garage, or any other structures.
This is regardless of whether your grill is powered by charcoal or gas and reduces the risk of any hazards occurring.